The Holdsworth Student Law Society at the University of Birmingham was founded in 1927 by Professor C.E. Smalley-Baker and named after Sir William Holdsworth. Sir William Holdsworth remained Patron of the Law Society until his death in 1944. Following in his footsteps Dean Smalley-Baker (1949-72) and Professor Hood-Phillips (1974-86) became the subsequent Patrons. Over the years we have had a distinguished line of patrons, presidents, academics and students contribute to the pillars of our society. The list of distinguished Presidents include, but are not limited to, Lord Chancellor, Master of the Rolls Lord Denning, Lords Donaldson, Bingham, Green, Baroness Hale and most recently Lady Justice Gloster (2016-17). Distinguished academics include Sir Arnold McNair and American jurist Dean Roscoe Pound to whom the Golden Medal of the American Bar Association was awarded for ‘conspicuous service to the cause of American jurisprudence’ was presented in 1940. This medal is still worn by Holdsworth Presidents when delivering their Presidential Address.